After months of spurious Russian collusion investigations by Democrats, Trump support within the GOP is finally hitting back with some ammunition that could easily put the opposition party on the defensive where it belongs.
A House Judiciary committee is calling for a special counsel to run an investigation of Hillary Clinton, James Comey, Loretta Lynch, and former President Barack Obama.
Twenty Republican Representatives collaborated on a letter which was sent to Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Deputy A.G. General Rosenstein. The letter demands that a special group be appointed to investigate a list of possible scandals surrounding the high-ranking Democrats mentioned above to include the former Director of the FBI, James Comey as well as a whole host of other holdovers from the Obama administration.
The letter began as follows;
“We are writing to you to request assistance in restoring public confidence in our nation’s justice system and its investigators, specifically the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). While we presume that the FBI’s investigation into Russian influence has been subsumed into Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, we are not confident that other matters related to the 2016 election and aftermath are similarly under investigation by Special Counsel Mueller. The unbalanced, uncertain, and seemingly unlimited focus of the special counsel’s investigation has led many of our constituents to see a dual standard of justice that benefits only the powerful and politically well-connected. For this reason, we call on you to appoint a second special counsel to investigate a plethora of matters connected to the 2016 election and its aftermath, including actions taken by previously public figures like Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FBI Director James Comey, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.”
To many Americans, this will come as a breath of fresh air. The letter highlights the bungled and biased handling of the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s mishandling of classified documents during her time as Secretary of State, to include the clear efforts of Loretta Lynch to stand in the way of a full and proper investigation.
The letter goes on to list a series of points that the Special Counsel would be empowered to investigate, which (edited for brevity) reads;
1. Then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch directing Mr. Comey to mislead Americans on the Clinton investigation;
2. The shadow cast over our justice system concerning Clinton and her mishandling classified information;
3. FBI and DOJ’s investigative decisions related to former Clinton’s email investigation, including immunity deals given to Clinton co-conspirators;
4. The failure of DOJ to investigate allegations of mishandling of classified information by Clinton;
5. The State Department’s involvement in determining which Clinton communications would be turned over;
6. WikiLeaks disclosing unlawful international dealings by the Clinton Foundation;
7. Connections between the Clinton campaign and foreign entities;
8. Mr. Comey’s knowledge of the purchase of Uranium One by the company Rosatom;
9. …[i]nappropriate collusion between the DNC and the Clinton campaign to undermine Senator Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign;
10. …accusations by the President that he was wiretapped by the previous Administration;
11. Selected leaks related to the unmasking of U.S. persons identities incidentally collected by the intelligence community;
12. Admitted leaks by Mr. Comey to Columbia University law professor, Daniel Richman, regarding conversations between Mr. Comey and President Trump;
13. Mr. Comey’s and the FBI’s apparent reliance on “Fusion GPS” in its investigation of the Trump campaign; and
14. All potential leaks originated by Mr. Comey and provide to author Michael Schmidt dating back to 1993.
Representative Trey Gowdy passed the critical vote to initiate the investigation, and has effectively set this long needed initiative into action. The vote to compel the Attorney General to appoint the second special counsel came down 15 to 13 in favor of the initiative at the end of the session.
Arguments for the special counsel called for an investigation of what they referred to as “the real criminals and the undermining of American security by the prior administration.”
As news of the vote made its way across social media, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
The 2016 Presidential election was the result of the American people’s thirst for justice, security, and integrity in Washington. It was a mandate to abolish the existing two-tiered system of justice and to return power to the American people. By moving forward with this investigation, Republicans finally appear to be making good on their long list of promises.
~ Conservative Zone